Another awesome entree we added to the Captain America-themed 2nd birthday party for Cash was the classic Mac & Cheese, with a twist….
What’s more American than Mac & Cheese?
I had originally planned to make bites, using this recipe from Chef in Training. but simply ran out of time. So halfway through I did some quick thinking and re-calibrating in order to find a way to save my half-made batch of noodles. Darting to my trusty pantry I found my awesome bread crumbs (Italian style and dumped in about a half cup. I changed/added a few more things and the result was a definite crowd pleaser! It was a nice addition to the Honey & Brown Sugar BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders too!
1½ pound bag elbow macaroni
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1½ cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 beaten egg
½ Italian Style Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a large glass baking pan (maybe two)
- Cook pasta according to packaged directions and set aside.
- In a medium size pan combine butter and milk over medium heat.
- Whisk until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add flour and bring to a simmer.
- I add in the 2 cups of shredded cheese a half cup at a time and then wait until it is completely melted before adding more. This way I avoid clumping.
- Then add in the cream cheese, salts
- Stir until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, carefully fold in the pasta
- When pasta is evenly coated with cheese I mix in the beaten egg
- Mix in bread crumbs (add more if you want)
- Spread mac & cheese in a baking pan so it is about 1.5″ thick then top with more cheese
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, only until top cheese melts.
- Transfer into your serving dish or leave it as is for scooping!
Affiliate Disclaimer: My blog is heavily monetized with numerous affiliate links throughout. If you click on these links and make a purchase I earn a small commission. THANK YOU for helping me build the boys’ college savings accounts! Please feel free to visit all of our affiliates and read the entire disclosure/disclaimer HERE